Monday, January 27, 2014

Regrets?

"Listen earnestly to anything your children want to tell you, no matter what. If you don't listen eagerly to the little stuff when they are little, they won't tell you the big stuff when they are big, because to them all of it has always been big stuff."


~Catherine M. Wallace~


I'll get right into it today....
I have a friend that had a 9 year old grandson that recently was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. DIPG is what it's called. No survivors yet. It's a rare, aggressive, cancerous brain tumor that they cannot do much for besides prolong life by a couple months via radiation and steroid treatments.
Boy, what a decision that is to make!?  As a parent, I can't imagine being in that position. It's worst case scenario.
For as long as I can remember I have been the type of person that, when asked if I regret anything, I would always say no. Heartache and tears, hard times and choices I've made that others may say they regret, I would always say that these are the things that made me, well...ME! So no, I don't have any regrets..... Until now.
As I sit and think about this amazing family and the pain and loss they're enduring right now, I wonder if I was in their shoes if I'd have any regrets...?  Yes, I would...   That time my daughter wanted me to read her just one more book or talk for just five more minutes and I was too tired to give her that time...? I regret that. The times she wanted me rub her back before bed and I said no because I wanted to go to bed myself-I regret that. The nights when I couldn't get enough sleep and was grouchy with her because of it....I regret that.
My point is-hold those close to you very tightly always, because you never know when this moment could be your last with them.  Don't be so selfish...  And is that argument really that important??  I don't want to have children that are spoiled brats but I do want children who have "enough". Enough food in their bellies; enough smiles in each day; enough support on their cloudy days and enough love that when I am gone they will remember me as a good mom and loving mom and know that I really did do the best I could!  Not a wife or mom who was too selfish or too "tired" to give them "enough". How do you want to be remembered??  I think we all know when choices we make may not be quite right for whatever reason, don't we?  Don't wait until it's too late.  Make a fresh start today.  Make sure you really are doing the best you can so that you won't ever have regrets!


~"The attitude you have as a parent is what your kids will learn from more than what you tell them.  They don't remember what you try to teach them.  They remember what you are."  Jim Henson~



















No comments:

Post a Comment